Our April 9, 2016 division meet returns us to the Elkins Park train station. The exterior station platform is still used as a station stop along SEPTA’s former Reading Line just below Jenkintown. It is still served by the Warminster and West Trenton Lines although the Lansdale/Doylestown trains pass by as well. There was a periodic variety of commuter passenger trains every few minutes either stopping or running by.
The station was constructed in 1898 for the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad and was also known for a time as the Ashbourne station. The Richardsonian massing of the tower and the use of stone masonry with the Queen Anne style of architectural detailing earned the station a place on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. With cooperation and encouragement from SEPTA, Cheltenham Township, and the Cheltenham Township Community Development Corporation (CTCDC), the Elkins Central organization has been given temporary possession of the station’s interior, with their goal of refurbishing and restoring the various rooms for use as a community center.